Your Daily Dose of Comedy!

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

BPA in canned food

As a mother of 3 young children, I am concerned about the food they eat and any potential side effects. This is why I was so alarmed when I came across an article stating that  BPA(bisphenol A) can be found in the lining of canned food and beverages. In case you aren't familiar with the BPA, it  is an industrial chemical used to make certain plastics. I first became familiar with it after having my 2nd baby when bottle makers began making bottles BPA free. According to researchers, BPA can seep into the food in canned goods. It has been linked with diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular disease in humans and has been shown to interfere with reproductive development in animals.

So if BPA is in canned goods then I now have to minimize the amout of canned goods my family consumes. Heck, we just had Progressive soup last night for dinner.  I probably would have been better off getting processed burgers and fries from McDonalds. Lol.  According to a Harvard study, urine samples from a test group of people who ate 1 can of soup for 5 days had more than a 1,200 percent increase in BPA.  There are still debates on the harmful effects of BPA but in the meantime I choose to stay away from it as much a possible. 


http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness-food/diet-nutrition/story/2011-11-23/BPA-levels-spiked-after-eating-canned-soup/51368968/1

No comments:

Post a Comment